What is a Planetary Gear Set?
In this article, we provide information on what a planetary gear is and what planetary gears are used for to assist you in determining the right product for your application.
Treotham Automation has been in operation for over 25 years.
We are leaders in the supply of products and components to the industrial automation industry, have warehouses based in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne & Perth and a fully equipped workshop enabling us to tailor solutions specifically to customer requirements.
Find out about what a planetary gear set is and what a planetary gear does below.
Planetary Gear Sets
What is a planetary gear? A planetary gear (or planetary gearbox) is a gearbox with the input shaft and output shaft aligned.
Planetary gears are modelled from the movement of the planets with a central drive (or sun gear) and orbiting gears.
Features, benefits and characteristics of planetary gears include:
- High quality and very efficient
- Maximum power density (the latest designs are capable of handling acceleration torques 40% higher than previous generations)
- Can be installed vertically, horizontally or with the output facing upwards or downwards The Easy to install
- Optional integrated thermal length compensation available
- Extremely smooth running
- Quiet operation
- Extremely long life span
- Positioning accuracy offers maximum compact precision
What Does A Planetary Gear Do?
A planetary gear is used to efficiently transfer power from a motor to an output.
They are designed to provide a much higher acceleration torque but through a compact system.
What Are Planetary Gears Used For?
We offer a range of planetary gears that meet different application requirements and performance levels.
What applications are planetary gears used for?
- Economical servo applications
- Cyclic and continuous operation
- High nominal speeds
- Economical positioning accuracy
- Toothed belt applications
- Linear module
- Dynamic belt applications
- Highly dynamic applications
- Where stringent safety standards are required
Have more questions about what a planetary gear does and what planetary gears are used for?
Contact our team of experts today who will be able to assist with further queries.